Travel theme: Hills

After returning from a week exploring Utah’s national parks (Now, that’s a glorious experience!), we saw that Ailsa of Where’s My Backpack had selected the theme of Hills for this week’s Travel theme.  Although we’re working on a series of blogs highlighting the mountains, hills, and valleys of those wondrous parks, we’re sharing four “hilly” photos that we’ve fallen in love with while processing all our pictures.  (Bert stopped a lot to let me snap away!!)

A view of the “hillside” behind Stein Eriksen Lodge in Deer Valley — ski slopes that are dormant now, but will soon be ready for winter action.

View of ski slopes from deck at Stein Eriksen Lodge

View of ski slopes from deck at Stein Eriksen Lodge

Two cyclists pedal hard up this rocky hillside near the Visitor Center at Capitol Reef

Cycling the hillside near Capitol Reef

Cycling the hillside near Capitol Reef

Two weeks too late to see aspens in bloom on this hillside near Grand Staircase-Escalante, but we can only imagine the majesty.

Passing the hillsides of aspen trees near Grand Staircase Escalante

Passing the hillsides of aspen trees near Grand Staircase Escalante

A lone barn tucked away on a hillside near the base of Grand Staircase-Escalante

Hillside residence near Grand Staircase Escalante

Hillside residence near Grand Staircase Escalante

Watch for our new travel series We Saw Utah coming soon!

And for more entries in Ailsa’s Travel theme: Hills, click here.

This entry was posted in Photography, Travel Theme, Utah, We Saw Utah! and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Travel theme: Hills

1. OwnShadow says:

I think God was smoking a joint when He made Utah. Great photos.

2. Dino says:

Thanks for these beautiful photos. I hope you enjoyed your travel.

3. Pingback: Places to travel | Site Title

4. Amazing pictures. If you would like to virtually experience the Himalayas and my experience, here’s the link-https://lotusinmud.com/2016/12/05/a-solo-trip-that-changed-me-forever/

Happy travelling!

• Thanks so much for commenting! We’ve been on an airplane that flew over the Himalayas, but we’d love to go back for a different experience. Best wishes for continued success! And thanks for traveling with us.

5. your blog is very amazing!!! please do check my blog

6. gorgeous photos you have here… thumbs up…

7. That looks like quite a cycling route!

8. The aspens ( one of my favorite trees ) and the barn are terrific pics. Never been to Utah, but looks pretty scenic!

9. melmcdona says:

I love this! Utah is so gorgeous and it makes me happy when other people blog about it!! Glad I came across your site! Sure enjoyed reading your posts!

10. Mae says:

Utah is definitely a remarkably beautiful state full of drama. Your photos capture the beauty, and the spirit of the “Hill” travel challenge. My response to the challenge is here:

11. I remember the Aspen Mountain. Peggy and I were there in the spring when the leaves were just coming out, Rusha. It was quite a hill as I recalled. I love the National Parks of Utah. Looking forward to your posts! –Curt

• Thanks so much, Curt. When I look at the photo of the couple pushing hard to get up that hill, I think of you and that 10,000 mile trek! How you did it and stayed sane, I’ll never know. We’ll get busy on that Utah series, but the holidays are upon us, too! Soon, though, I promise!

• There was probably more sanity out there on the bike trip than there is in most things we do, Rusha, for its simplicity if nothing else. As for Utah, bring it on. 🙂 –Curt

12. Grant G. says:

I really like the “Cycling the Hillside” photo a lot. Beautiful work!

13. Really looking forward to your Utah series, I love the mountains year round, of course I love the snow because I love to ski, but there is something just as magical about them in the spring, summer and autumn, when they are not covered in the white stuff!

• Thanks for commenting. We’re having fun downloading all our pictures, but as you may have guessed, we have more than we need. Whittling them down is always a problem. And you’re right about being on slopes and in ski resorts when there’s no snow — it’s still fun!

14. Looking forward to seeing your Utah series. We were there last year to visit our daughter and her husband who live in Salt Lake City.

15. Pit says:

Utah is still on ouir bucket list, for sightseeing as well as bicycling. We should be able to find some flat routes there, like the rail trail we did on our recent vacation. I envy those bicyclist in your picture, just getting up a long hill. Well, back home I can train some on the Texas Hill country.

• Keep Utah on your bucket list — it’s well worth a trip. Bert kept saying, “What took us so long to get here?” And as for cycling — I’d just travel by car or in the comfort of a tour bus. You’ll be pretty tired hiking the trails!

• Pit says:

Utah will be kewpt on our bucket list – certainly. And maybe for travelling by car. I know it can be pretty mountainous there. But we might be able to find flat trails for bicycling, too.