Weekly Photo Challenge: Transmogrify

Transmogrify:  turning a cake into a work of art!

Transmogrify: turning a cake into a work of art!

It’s a new term for me, this “transmogrify.”  But learning a new word can be fun, especially if it’s the theme of a weekly photo challenge from WordPress.  Transmogrify means “To change in appearance or form, especially strangely or grotesquely; transform.”  So surely changing a bit of sugar into fondant or buttercream to form something totally different than mere sweetness would qualify, right?

Transmogrify:  To create a ladybug from a mound of cake and some frosting.

Ladybug cake

Transmogrify:  To fashion an entire tree with little people from the book Caps for Sale.

Cake entry for Caps for Sale

Transmogrify:  A bit of sugar transformed into a Dr. Seuss character.

Dr. Seuss cake for Green Eggs and Ham

And that’s how it was at Knoxville’s Great Cake Bake where a little “transmogrifying” was the order of the day.  Pretty clever stuff.  And tasty, too!

For more entries in this week’s Weekly Photo Challenge:  Transmogrify, click here.

This entry was posted in Photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Transmogrify

1. Andy Oldham says:

Would love to see these in person. I bet they were spectacular!

2. Donna says:

These are amazing! Just spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

3. I love the “Caps For Sale” one particularly. What great photos for the challenge.

4. kelleysdiy says:

The photography is beautiful! The cakes are so whimsical!!!

5. Sissy MacK says:

The Caps for Sale cake is brilliant!

6. Bernadine says:

All of these look so beautifully sculpted! Thanks for sharing. Please follow my blog at https://baking781.wordpress.com/. Thanks!!😀😀

7. HesterLeyNel says:

Very original. I’m not the creative type, but I appreciate this characteristic in other people.

8. That top cake looks almost real – I mean you could send it to Madam Tussauds! Sol

9. Nice cakes! I would love to taste it!

10. I can’t help but think Halloween, Rusha. And that first one wins the cake, so to speak. I’d find her a little scary on a dark night. 🙂 –Curt

11. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Transmogrify | Musings of a Random Mind

12. I’ve never decorated a cake like these. Best I can do is swirl something tasty onto a cake and call it dessert! Hope you’re enjoying fall where you are. Or is it almost over?

13. You nailed this one. Congrats to you and thanks for the trip down memory lane of cake decorating although I NEVER created anything this amazing. 🙂

14. Pingback: Transmogrify: Brighton | What's (in) the picture?

15. Transmogrify was a new term for me too. 🙂 I had to Google. Nice pictures!

16. Prachi says:

Are these all real cakes? *.*