Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — White

We extend our appreciation to all who have clicked onto our blogs this week and voted for pictures for the Capture the Colour 2013 Photo Challenge sponsored by TravelSupermarket.com. We’ve been nominated by Terri and James Vance of Gallivance whose entry is colorful and quite artistic, so check it out also. (To see their photo challenge, click here.)

Each day, we post three photos on one of the color themes required by the challenge:  blue, yellow, white, green and red.  At the end of the week, we’ll take your suggestions and select one of each color to submit.  Please vote by leaving a message in the Comments section at the bottom of this post or on Facebook.  And thanks to all of you who have done so!

If you’ve missed the first two, here are links to those posts:

BLUE: https://ohtheplaceswesee.com/2013/09/22/help-us-decide-capture-the-colour-2013-blue/

YELLOW: https://ohtheplaceswesee.com/2013/09/23/help-us-decide-capture-the-colour-2013-yellow/

TODAY’S VOTE: WHITE

And here are today’s entries for the category WHITE.  (There are FOUR this time — we had a hard time deciding!)

1. Stonecutter in Nepal

DSC02632

When we joined a team from Knoxville to build stone and mud houses in Nepal for Habitat for Humanity International, we met several men busy at work planning the foundation, finding the right stones, digging the mud for the mortar, and cutting the cornerstones.  This stonecutter remained quietly aloof for about three days as he wasn’t sure what to make of us.  But as I “talked” to him using facial expressions and hand gestures, he warmed up to me and even allowed me to hand him suitable stones.  When he nodded that I could finally take his picture, I didn’t hesitate.  This photo, of a stonecutter dressed in white, remains one of my prize takeaways from the experience.

2. Southern Magnolia in Full Bloom

IMG_0359

Sometimes the best pictures can be found in your own backyard.  This creamy white magnolia blossom showing off its ever-increasing shades of brown as it reaches maturity just begged to be photographed.

3. Terra Cotta Warriors Facing the Light of Day

IMG_1613

In Xian, China, unearthed Terra Cotta Warriors are housed in an enormous windowed structure resembling an airport hangar. When we visited, natural morning light was just beginning to stream into the room, changing the stoic, stone gray figures to white sentinels ready for visitors in awe of this amazing archaeological find.

4. Reconstruction

IMG_1636

At the site of the Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses is  an area called “the hospital” where shards are put together like an enormous 3-D puzzle.  As pieces form warriors or horses, the reconstructions (like this one standing in the white light) may be able to stand on their own, as if they are waiting for someone to find the final pieces to make them whole again.

P. S. Please leave us a comment below and vote for your favorite!  Check back tomorrow for our GREEN entries.  Thanks!

Rusha and Bert Sams

This entry was posted in Nepal, Photography, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — White

1. FreeRangeCow says:

I am too late, and love your chosen one, but that stonecutter really melted my heart!

I LOVED the stonecutter picture, but I had several Nepal pictures and thought I needed more variety. Not sure how challenges work. It might not have made any difference at all!

2. Pingback: Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — RED | Oh, the Places We See . . .

3. Sharon Frankenberg says:

I liked the familiar Magnolia #2 because you made me see it in a different way.

4. Kevin Brent says:

Number 3. Spent a lot of time standing in formation myself. 😉

5. Love number 1! But then again I love all portraits that capture a bit of the persons personality….it is lovely.

6. Pingback: Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — Green | Oh, the Places We See . . .

7. Peripatetic Eric says:

Number 4 for me. It held my attention the longest maybe because of its uniqueness, being unfinished, the mystery there.

I agree that there is much mystery. I’m so impressed with the preservation efforts there. And the many pieces that have already been put into place. It’s a monumental job.

8. Great shots all, but the one that jumped out at me was #1. He has a classic look, and the photo is totally natural. And hey! What’s up with all the great Terra Cotta warrior shots. When we visited Xian, photography was forbidden. It was killing me, and I tried to sneak a few, but they were terrible. I take it they changed the policy, and good for you. ~James

Thanks for your vote for the stonecutter. I loved taking pics of the Terra Cotta Warriors. Everyone was doing so. I guess the ban has been lifted. They are quite the sight. Loved being there.

9. I like the Southern Magnolia. As a GRITS…I love anything Southern.

10. Oh I don’t want to choose, I like them all! If I must I will pick #4 though. 🙂

11. Marilyn Leibenguth says:

I’m torn between 1 and 3. Hmm…I pick # 1…again!

12. Trisha Clark says:

This one jumped out at me-White! # 1 is my pick. From his hat, eyes, smile-teeth, beard stubbles, clothes and stone background, there are so many shades of white. I love the story behind the picture, too!

13. Gale says:

The Southern Magnolia is absolutely beautiful!

14. Sarah says:

I vote for number 3!

15. Meredith says:

So, not to be indecisive, but I think #1 and #3 are both amazing and frankly, could both fit a Nepal/China theme. I think I’m going to give the edge to #1. It grabbed me the moment I saw it, and I love the story. BTW — I read the judges remarks about the winning entry from last year, and theme seemed to play no part in it, so I think I wouldn’t worry about theme and would go for the best shots in each category. Therefore, I stand by my original pick for blue – #2…

Thanks so much for reading about the contest and for voting. The most intriguing pics have come from Nepal, the most intriguing country! It’s about 50/50 on the blue pics!