Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — Blue

We first learned of the Capture the Colour 2013 photo blogging challenge when Terri and James Vance, the authors of Gallivance, entered the competition.  Their quality submission can be seen here, complete with five outstanding photographs.

The Capture the Colour challenge, sponsored by TravelSupermarket.com is pretty straightforward:

” . . . publish a blog post showcasing five of your favourite travel photographs which best capture the colour of our five categories: red, blue, green, yellow and white.”

Terri and James allowed readers a voice in deciding which five photos Gallivance would submit. Each day, Terri and James posted entries on their blog, and, each day, readers voted for their favorites.  At the end of the week, the Gallivance entry was ready for submission! (Click here to see.)

Now, Terri and James have graciously nominated us for the challenge.  So, taking a cue from Gallivance, we, too, are asking readers to help us select five entries for the Capture the Colour 2013 challenge. We’ll publish three pictures per color each day this week and ask you to select your favorite by posting a comment on our blog. At the end of the week, we’ll show you the choices for each color voted upon by our readers!

Today is our first request.  Here are our entries for the BLUE category:

1. Nepali Schoolgirl

Nepali Schoolgirl

When we visited Bhabiskya Ujjwal Primary School in Kavre, Nepal, one child captured our hearts. Her soulful eyes, rumpled blue uniform, and smudgy face reminded us of little girls everywhere who relish a day when schoolbooks are abandoned for a brief visit by grown-ups from America!

2. Otherworldly Earthship

Otherworldly Earthship

Approaching Taos, New Mexico, you may have noticed protrusions resembling moonrise formations in the otherwise very flat earth. Upon closer observation, however, you discover actual dwellings created by a company called Earthship.  These futuristic homes, we later discovered, are built from sustainable, recycled materials and decorated with glass bottles, old tires, and found objects.  All are interesting, but the contrast of this white model against the clear blue sky seemed rather otherworldly.

3.  Blue Sky over Idaho City

Blue Sky over Idaho City

As I headed to Idaho City, Idaho, from Boise one morning to meet with teachers, I was taken by this visual: a two-toned blue sky filled with cloud puffs over golden fields of grain.  Rusha, I said to myself, you’re not in Tennessee any more!

Please leave us a comment and/or vote for BLUE PHOTO number 1, 2, or 3.  And then check back each day this week to see our other colorful entries under consideration.  Thanks so much!

Rusha and Bert Sams

This entry was posted in Nepal, Photography, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — Blue

1. Pingback: Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — RED | Oh, the Places We See . . .

2. Pingback: Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — Green | Oh, the Places We See . . .

3. Jane Savas says:

That precious child captured my heart and my vote. Why the glint in her eyes even has a touch of blue!

4. Trisha Clark says:

I love all three, but if I have to choose, it is # 2. There are so many shades of BLUE!

5. Gale says:

Hi Rusha…….. I love the little Nepali girl… Of course they are all good!

6. Sarah says:

Oh, I’ve got to vote for #1! She reminds me of some of our kids at school. Great composition, as someone else said.

Sarah,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment. Hope school is going well. And I hope your first eval was something useful to you. We’re so fortunate to have you teaching!

Rusha

7. Meredith says:

It was a close call between #1 and #2. I like the composition (and subject! what a beautiful little girl) of #1 better, but I think #2 is a crisper photo and the blue is just unbelievable. In the end, I vote for #2

8. Pingback: Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — White | Oh, the Places We See . . .

9. Sharon Frankenberg says:

I was just in Taos last week and can’t believe that I missed those earthships! That being said, the sky in photo two says “pure blue” to me.

10. sethsnap says:

I like them all and it was a close one between 1 and 2. But I have to go with 2. Love the sky.

11. Pingback: Help us decide: Capture the Colour 2013 — Yellow | Oh, the Places We See . . .

12. Rusha, Thanks so much for your very kind words. As we already knew, your photos are marvelous. James and I agree we were both instantly drawn to #2. Can’t wait for the next choice! 🙂 ~Terri

It seems that #1 has a few more votes, but I’m hoping more will come in by week’s end. Maybe I should enter the Earthship pic in the white category! Have fun in Poland.

13. Elizabeth says:

Photo 1 has something that draws you in.

14. Nancy Merritt says:

I cast my vote for Blue Photo 1. (I also love #3.)

Thanks for taking the time to look at the photos and vote! It’s fun to look back through the pictures and see which ones are my favorites. Hope you’ll come back through the week to see more.

15. There’s something about #2 that makes me curious : )

16. Georgia says:

Wow, what a tough choice. I love the portrait of the little girl but I’m going to vote for Number 2 because I love the variation in the blues of the sky in this shot.

17. Marilyn Leibenguth says:

I also like them all but I think number 1 is the best for the category.

18. I love all three, it’s hard to choose! I guess I’ll have to pick #1 but I like them all.