Weekly Photo Challenge: Layered

Perhaps anywhere you travel out West will show you layers of beauty, but Utah is our latest state to visit where seeing overlapping beauty became the norm.  If you’ve ever crested a hill while driving a scenic highway, you know the ah-ha moment when you catch your breath and say, “Oh, my gosh!” or something else equally trite for such grandiose vistas.  But that’s what comes to mind when you see the layered look of scrub brush in front of plains in front of mountains . . . just as God meant it to be.

Layers of sandstone near Capitol Reef

Layers of sandstone near Capitol Reef

Rows of fall-colored shrubs snugged up to majestic mountains. Somewhere in Utah.

Reflections and layers: Potash Scenic Byway, Utah

Reflections and layers: Potash Scenic Byway, Utah

Layers in the distance at Canyonlands National Park, Utah

Layers in the distance at Canyonlands National Park, Utah

Just another gorgeous highway view: Utah

Just another gorgeous highway view: Utah

For more photos in this week’s Weekly Photo Challenge: Layered, head to the WordPress Daily Post.

This entry was posted in Photography, Travel, Utah, We Saw Utah!, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Layered

1. Valentina says:

Good interpretation of the theme. The land looks made of clay, is it?

• I wish I knew more about the composition of these formations. Sandstone is the only thing that seems to be mentioned frequently in the brochures. But a geology lesson would be a good accompaniment after a trip out West! Thanks for stopping by.

2. Jane Lurie says:

You’ve hit some gorgeous spots in Utah and made some wonderful captures. What an amazing state full of natural beauty!

3. Tee Shaw says:

Absolutely beautiful! Utah is one state I have been to but was not able to explore! Definitely will add to my bucket list!

4. restlessjo says:

Simply fabulous, isn’t it? Quietly envious 🙂 🙂

Magnificent views! Great captures, Rusha. 🙂

6. The Southwest is definitely the place to go if you want to see the layered look in stone, Rusha. And you have captured it well. –Curt

7. Pingback: Layered: Sky 2 Blue | What's (in) the picture?

8. Oh, love your layers! Having lived in Arizona and Utah, I agree that Utah is beautiful from south to north! 😀

• It really is one gorgeous state. Of course, if truth be known, we’ve found exceptional beauty in every state. This one just has the corner on the market for great red rocks! (At least that’s our opinion!) Thanks for taking a look.

9. JudyinFrance says:

What luscious layers. Now I will have to go on a road trip back to Utah. Then again I will have to go to New Mexico too.
    Great post.
    Judy

10. dawnkinster says:

Next year I want to go to Utah! Love love love all the variety in that state!

• We’re already thinking about next year, too. But have no idea what we want to see first. Utah is a place I could return to again and again and still not see the same scenery twice in the same way. Thanks for taking a look at this beautiful state!

11. Pit says:

Great pictures, all of them. I like the 3rd one best, though.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Pit

12. Dina says:

Gorgeous impressions! That’s a great take on the challenge. 🙂 Such massive, impressive layers …

13. kzmcb says:

You know, I think it could almost be in Australia. We have the same sandstone formations, red dirt (rich in iron) and layers of other fossilised life.

• Thanks, Jodi. Hope you are finding lots of things to cook, paint, and photograph this fall. Any time we see scenery like this, I ask Bert to pull over — again — so I can take pictures. I’m not sure what you do with all these photos, but thanks for taking a look along with me!