Weekly Photo Challenge: Sunrise at Acadia Dock

Early morning sun brightens the waters of Castine harbor where the sailing vessel Bowdoin resides.

Coastal Maine offers glorious sunrises if you’re willing to wake up early, bundle yourself in layers, and stand on a dock for the morning show.

And you’re never alone.  From birds gliding overhead to lobstermen checking traps before dawn, docks like Acadia in Castine put on a spectacle like no other.

Leaving Acadia Dock before dawn is the Maine Maritime Academy tug awash in early-morning sunlight.

Sunlight filters through lobster traps at Acadia Dock, Castine, Maine

Sunlight filters through lobster traps at Acadia Dock, Castine, Maine

Dawn comes in layers.  First a subtle orange or salmon or pinkish sky.

Aglow in morning light, a lone tethered boat stands ready.

Aglow in morning light, a lone tethered boat stands ready.

Then a peep of light that quickly washes over anything in front of it.

Sunrise: Castine Harbor.

Sunrise: Castine Harbor.

To a full-blown wake-up of morning activities.

Morning light: Castine, Maine.

Morning light: Castine, Maine.

Just another sunrise?  No such thing.

For more sunrises and sunsets, visit the WordPress DailyPost Weekly Photo Challenge:  Rise/Set.

For more posts on the beautiful state of Maine, check our Travel Series:  Autumn Down East.

This entry was posted in Autumn Down East, Maine, Photography, Travel, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Sunrise at Acadia Dock

1. Wow!Would love for you to check out my blog. I think you would like it. Im glad I found your blog 😀 xoxo

2. ericarobbin says:

Beautiful photos! I’ve always wanted to visit Maine!

3. Rupali says:

Lovely colours.

• Thanks so much for taking a look. It was fun just standing on that dock watching the morning show. And the sky seemed to change colors about every five minutes! Best wishes for a beautiful spring.

4. kzmcb says:

Glorious colors. Just beautiful.

5. Pingback: WPC: Rise/Set | Lillie-Put

6. M.B. Henry says:

Wonderful photos! Those colors are amazing

• I couldn’t agree more about the colors! The brilliant oranges really took me aback. Not even in the national parks of Utah did we see such color. And all these photos are without any filters. Now, you may understand why I was so willing to get up at the crack of dawn and head down to the harbor! Happy springtime to you!

Love that little tug, and definitely love Acadia!!! Beautiful sunrises

• It was a marvelous experience staying in Castine. Each morning, I threw on warm clothes and headed to the dock to watch sunrise. Loved the birds squawking and flying by and the boats moving slowly but steadily through the sun-washed waters. It’s kind of like being at the beach but without sand!

8. prior.. says:

wonderful and I could feel a certain mood with “never alone…” and then feel the birds and traps

and LOVED this too:

Just another sunrise? No such thing.
    best quote of the year (IMO) so far….

• Thanks for making me feel good today. I love these pictures because they remind me of a time when I was willing to brave the cold each morning and stand on the dock admiring God’s handiwork. Oh, to be there again!

• prior.. says:

well we are sort of there again with the photos – and of course the experience lives on.
        and I like how you noted “brave the cold” – because natural beauty can do that to ya, huh? – pulls you out without you having any say! lol

🙂

9. claywatkins says:

How lovely. I don’t get to watch the sunrise – not because I am not up, it’s where I usually am that keeps me from seeing the sun rise. But when I can, I do. How wonderful it is to see the sunrise over the water. Have a wonderful week.

• We can’t see the sun rise where we live in Tennessee, but staying in Castine, Maine for a month got me out of bed each morning to bundle up and head for the harbor. Oh, how I wish I could do that again!!! Thanks for responding. Happy Spring!

• claywatkins says:

It’s my last day of spring break in the Florida Keys – I get to see both for a week – then I have to wait for he next year. Just watched this morning’s sunrise – they are all different as is each day. Have a wonderful Easter.

10. dawnkinster says:

Love Acadia! And my favorite of this batch is that tug…so unexpected and special!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w