WPC: Serene mornings in Maine

Lone boat in harbor at Searsport, Maine

Lone boat in the harbor at Searsport, Maine

It’s hard to imagine a harbor being quiet, but frequently before dawn, it’s almost silent.  No seagulls honking.  No boat horns sounding.  No one yelling to pull up another trap.

Birds await fog lifting at the dock in Castine, Maine.

Birds await fog lifting at the dock in Castine, Maine.

And it’s even more serene if fog has blanketed the area.

One lone boat in a reflective moment: Castine, Maine

One lone boat in a reflective moment: Castine, Maine

So necessary, these serene moments of reflection.

For more serene photos, check out the DailyPost Weekly Photo Challenge: Serene.

This entry was posted in Autumn Down East, Maine, Photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to WPC: Serene mornings in Maine

Very peaceful – the sense of calm and serenity calls from each capture. Beautifully done.

2. Pingback: Serene: Floating – What's (in) the picture?

3. kzmcb says:

I can just hear the gulls over the creak of the boats.

4. So beautiful and serene. What a lovely time of day to visit.

• Sorry to be late responding. I’m immersed in Christmas and volunteer work right now. But thanks for taking a look and commenting. It was indeed a lovely time of day — and well worth getting out of bed, throwing on my clothes and shivering a bit down by the dock. Memories — good ones — for sure.

5. that is so beautiful and serene

6. Serene moments are indeed necessary! Lovely photos!

7. galeweithers says:

I agree and it looks as though we were both on the same path in that quiet water is perfect for serene reflective moments! If you haven’t had a chance to visit, here’s my own small thought on this week’s challenge: https://wp.me/p2CNyA-3oa

8. Woolly Muses says:

Definitely on the spot for the Serene challenge.

9. Beautiful, serene photos, Rusha. Just looking at them makes me relax. I, too, love a foggy, quiet morning in a port. I always welcome the sound of a distant foghorn, however. Somehow, it adds to the ambience for me. –Curt

• Thanks, as always, for commenting. It was a great place for relaxation as well as getting a glimpse at how life goes on even in the fog. And that horn? There was one, coming from a tugboat that the Maine Maritime Academy uses. It blasted forth, and I probably came off the dock a foot. Wasn’t prepared for that one!!

10. I’ve never visited Maine. Your photos are enticing but chilly-looking. 🙂

• Most of these mornings were a bit chilly, but a good down coat and some warm socks go a long way. I was totally determined to see this harbor each morning we stayed in Castine. It’s really a beautiful spot in the universe.

11. Aixa says:

Beautiful photos! I love the mornings I drive through the photo to work. The little highway I take is very beautiful and relieves the stress.

These photos are so beautiful. You captured the tranquility! 🙂

13. dawnkinster says:

Love Maine, and agree much of it IS serene! I’m noticing on a lot of the serene posts that people include water. I think that’s a trend.

14. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

These photos are so peaceful and serene. I love the quiet of a morning in Maine.

15. Looks peaceful and a li’l cold 🙂