Travel theme: Endearing

Early morning at Colorado ranchIt could be said, I suppose, that travel to any locale is endearing.  And, to tell the truth, it is if you just love seeing something new. So on a recent trip to a friend’s ranch in Livermore, Colorado, with a group of women I’ve known since college days, I woke to watch the sky turn pink at sunrise only to find that the most endearing thing about those alone times was the chance to watch the hummingbirds.

Hummers at feeder in ColoradoOh, sure, we’ve all seen hummers.  But for some reason, these birds swarmed — not just visited — two feeders — a blue Mason jar and a round red one — as if these sips/slurps were their last. And the birds were undaunted by my presence.  Their colloquy continued whether I was inside the kitchen window or standing on the porch beside the hammock, camera in hand.  I can only guess what social dynamics were at play among this “hummingest” group of not-always friendly flappers engaged in a feeding frenzy.

Mornings became show time for the guests at the ranch as these endearing Rocky Mountain hummingbirds (both new and repeat diners) dipped into the nectar. You never know what your favorite take-back from a travel adventure will be, do you?

For more entries into Ailsa’s Travel theme: Endearing from her blog “Where’s My Backpack,” be sure to click here.

This entry was posted in Colorado, Photography, Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Travel theme: Endearing

1. What lovely tints of green on these feathered friends. I never imagined they could have a pink neck as well. These pics made my day!

Nicely done Rusha – hummingbirds are SO difficult to capture clearly. Great job!

3. What stunning photos, Rusha! I can’t believe you got all those great close-ups. I always think of hummers as flitting about, but they were really showing off for you. I definitely think they’re the definition of “endearing.” 🙂 ~Terri

Thanks! I loved standing in my pj’s and robe for about an hour each morning focused on the sunrise, the hummingbirds, and a hot cup of coffee. Ah, the Western life!!!

4. Oh I just love an adventure with friends! What a great place to bird watch. These images are amazing my friend.

Thanks for this lovely comment. Coming from you — one of the photographers I most admire — this comment means a lot. Best wishes for finding more great shots each day!

5. sunsetdragon says:

Such wonderful shots of these beautiful little feather folk.

6. goannasnake says:

We don’t have hummingbirds, but I imagine they’re really hard to capture. These are gorgeous.

7. Kevin Brent says:

Really good shots Rusha!

Thanks, Kevin. I stood still about as long as I could each morning. Took dozens of pics and then found a few that were clear. I have a lot to learn, but I’m really having fun.

8. Wow great shots… I know how fast they can move and catching them without blur is not easy. Love the words to go along with it, well said 🙂

Love these captures! Thank you for sharing your joyful time in Colorado 🙂

Thanks for taking a look. The whole experience was great fun — just standing in my robe on the porch taking pics of birds. Who would have thought I’d do that!

10. Great captures, Rusha. Beautiful colors. We will miss the hummingbirds.

Thanks for replying. I have never tried to lure hummingbirds to my back porch in Tennessee, but now I want to! Hope there’s still some time left to put up a feeder.

11. Rusha Sams says:

Thanks so much. The picture you like was taken with my iPhone! Sometimes the quick pics turn out best!

12. My favorite summer aviators–really like the first one with the silhouette.

13. Rusha Sams says:

I’m determined to get a feeder up soon. It was sooooo much fun watching them and listening to the hum!

14. Packing my Suitcase says:

Amazing shots!!! I love hummingbirds 🙂 its been a while since I saw the last one!