Weekly Photo Challenge: Weathered — The Charm of Monhegan

Weathered is what draws you into Monhegan.  Oh, sure, you want to get away.  To see the island where artists find retreat.  To stroll the pathways to the lighthouse or the rock beach.  Or to steal a picture of Jamie Wyeth’s vacation home.  But it’s weathered that keeps you there, taking pictures and storing up memories.

And if you love peeling paint, decaying wood, and the grays of aging structures, check ’em all out at Weekly Photo Challenge: Weathered.

This entry was posted in Autumn Down East, Maine, Photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Weathered — The Charm of Monhegan

1. prior.. says:

I love the photos and the weathered vibe of a cool place – and liked your and Curt’s comment above – about weathered people have that character and seasoned look…. ahhhh
    and too many people pump in chemicals and need to embrace some of the weathering more – eh?

2. Pingback: Weathered – Sign – What's (in) the picture?

3. The ‘weathered look’ always adds character to a photo, it seems to me Rusha. Kind of like people. 🙂

4. Pingback: WPC: Weathered | Lillie-Put

5. Ruth says:

I can feel the weathering in your photographs.

Wonderful captures. Was there years ago and agree wholeheartedly. Great destination for seeking out weathering!

• It is an interesting place, all right. And there’s no comparison to the South Carolina islands and beaches. It’s craggy, lonely, and almost haunting, if you go when we did — after the tourist season. But I love both places and could return once more, for sure.

7. Jeanne Tapp says:

makes me think of a novel I’ve read in the past few years, but for the life of me, can’t remember the title!

8. dawnkinster says:

Beautiful! Looks like a great place to find weathered!

• Thanks, Dawn. It was a great place not only to find weathering but also to find solace, quiet, and some pretty friendly residents. We arrived after tourist season, and almost had the island to ourselves. We were the only ones on the pathways through the woods, so the quiet was almost eerie. But I would go back in a heartbeat!

9. grammywrites says:

What a beautiful presentation of “weathered”! Nicely done!

• Thanks so much for the compliment. I loved looking through my Monhegan pictures again. I’ve got to write a post on the island, but I have so many photos, I’m not sure where to start. It truly is a remarkable place just because it’s so untouched looking!

10. ksbeth says:

i’ve never heard of this island and it looks charming –

• I had heard of it but had never been. Now, however, I can’t wait to return, if that can ever be worked out again. It’s a place where artists and writers (I’ve been told) come and spend time. It’s so quiet and isolated. And it has a lovely hasn’t-been-touched-in-years feel to it. So, when I saw the topic this week, I knew it wouldn’t be hard to find photos!