WPC: Maine all aglow

This week’s WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: Glow must have had the coast of Maine in mind.  At least twice a day — and sometimes more often — Maine literally glows.  From soft reflections on harbor waters to lengthening autumn shadows on land, there’s no shortage of photo ops in the state of Maine.

Morning at Southwest Harbor

A golden shore at Southwest Harbor, Maine facing Beal's Lobster Pier.

A golden shore at Southwest Harbor, Maine facing Beal’s Lobster Pier.

Sunrise at Castine’s waterfront

The glow of sunrise on Castine's waterfront.

The glow of sunrise on Castine’s waterfront.

Afternoon glow at Spruce Point Inn, Boothbay Harbor

Afternoon glow on a line of chairs at Spruce Point Inn, Boothbay Harbor.

Afternoon glow on a line of chairs at Spruce Point Inn, Boothbay Harbor.

Catching the glow — a wooden boat somewhere near Deer Isle . . .

Catching the last rays of sun near Deer Isle, Maine

Catching the last rays of sun near Deer Isle, Maine

For more glowing photos, go to Weekly Photo Challenge: Glow.

For more posts on Maine, check out our Travel Series:  Autumn Down East.

This entry was posted in Autumn Down East, Maine, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to WPC: Maine all aglow

1. Rupali says:

Wonderful gallery.

2. Early morning and late afternoon, the perfect time for glow photos, and you captured it Rusha. My favorite… the boat. —Curt

• Thanks for the compliment. I loved getting up early each day. Sometimes Bert would sleep in, and I had the place almost to myself — except for the gulls. But together, we would point out something for the other one to see. We don’t see much in our condo complex in Knoxville before the sun comes up except for an occasional dog walker!

• I lived in a condo once, Rusha, and the only wildlife I saw was an occasional squirrel that liked to scold me through my office window. Now we have an around the clock show of wildlife. –Curt

3. kzmcb says:

The waterfront photo has a lovely calm.

• It was that calm that kept getting me out of bed each morning to walk down to the waterfront. I would just stand there watching the changing colors of the sky and listening to the seagulls. A very magic time in Maine, for sure.

4. Maine is lovely year round. These are gorgeous shots. Are you home now or still touring?

• We have just arrived at home. So much to see in Maine that we extended our tip by a week. But I’m so glad we did. Maine’s weather was unseasonably warm, and the leaves were golden. I miss getting up for sunrises already.

Beautiful set of glow photo captures, especially the afternoon glow. 🙂

6. Pingback: WordPress Photo Challenge: Glow | Change Is Hard

7. dawnkinster says:

Oh I love Maine! You are right, so much to photograph there! And such nice light too. Loved these.

8. Pingback: Glow: Autumn Sunrise – What's (in) the picture?

9. I think you would love New England, especially in the fall. The leaves have me looking more than once, so I’ll be posting something soon about them. It truly is a beautiful time to visit, but spring and summer should also be equally pretty. Harbors and sailboats look good any time of year!

10. lulu says:

Maine glows in so many ways!

11. prior.. says:

aglow and so inviting… love all the images – and my fav is the ending boat shot – so grande….

• I’m so glad you shared your favorite — the boat. I found that picture today among others, and the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I may have to enlarge and frame. Thanks for visiting my blog! Appreciate the comments!

• prior.. says:

well coincidentally i almost suggested that maybe that one needed to be framed – but i did not. The glow and angle make it extra special – it is sorta of an aerial view – but not quite – hm

12. Pit says:

Very nice interpretations of the theme “glow”. 🙂

• Thanks so much. I’ve been snapping pictures so much my husband is about to kick me out of the car! But I’m obsessed. This is really a pretty state, especially this time of the year.

• Pit says:

Well, that’s the advantages – or maybe disadvantages – of digital fotography, isn’t it? I just replied to a comment on my blog post about our drive from Grand Forks to Iowa on that subject, that I have already deleted a lot of pictures and still have more than 150 from Sioux Falls. So what! Let’s just go on snapping! 😉
        Have a wonderful Sunday,
        Pit
        P.S.: I’ve been to New England only once, for a short trip to Boston and Boothbay Harbor, in 2014, when my wife’s daughter ran the Boston Marathon. But going back there is on our bucket list – definitely.