Take me to the Cotswolds: WPC — Wanderlust

Most of our trips in the States or abroad are one-stop destinations — a major city to explore, a festival celebrating an event, a peaceful state park.  But if I could go back to one location, stay for a couple of weeks (a month even), and wander aimlessly around and through an area, it would be to The Cotswolds.

Although scenic views unfold at every turn, it’s mostly the houses I love.  Stone cottages with or without thatched roofs.  Creamy facades of stone or aged stucco.  Cottages resting on manicured lawns, round bushes snugged up to their foundations.  Comfortable homes fronted with aged-over-time wooden doors, windows edged by lace curtains, chimneys on either side, and vines meandering aimlessly upward and over.  Yes, it’s wanderlust — my long-standing desire to linger in England’s Cotswolds once again.

Do you love The Cotswolds, too?

Happy wandering — Rusha Sams

For more dreamy places to visit, check out:  Weekly Photo Challenge:  Wanderlust.

This entry was posted in England, Travel, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Take me to the Cotswolds: WPC — Wanderlust

Oh, so beautiful and peaceful! Great captures!

2. jmacindoe says:

Nice shots!!

• Thanks so much. But if you want some blurry ones, I can show you what I took outside the window of the back seat of car driving on the “wrong” side of the road! I loved this place, but definitely recommend standing still and capturing the homes one at a time!

3. So beautiful. Love the stonework! Reminiscent of villages in France.

Peta

4. Pingback: Wanderlust: Rosetta Stone | What's (in) the picture?

5. I’ll let you know. We’ll be there in August! Your photos are lovely!

6. Sarah says:

I definitely could have spent longer than 3 days, which is what I did in February this year. Loved the area (though I am more partial to Yorkshire to be honest) and would love to spend longer going around all the tiny villages.

• So glad you mentioned Yorkshire. I’m looking that area up as we speak! My dream is to find a cheap flight to London and head out to several other locations than the Cotswolds. So much to see, so little time! 🙂

• Sarah says:

I loved Yorkshire!! On my recent trip I got to spend some time in both the Cotswolds & Yorkshire & loved both but the latter definitely stole my heart. Each time I go back to England, I like to spend time im a different area. Next on my list is Cornwall/Devon 😊😊 .. but yes, it takes time & money haha

7. julieallyn says:

Charming!! Have you read Susan Branch’s A Fine Romance: Falling in Love with the English Countryside? While not anywhere as delightful as her other book I’d read (Martha’s Vineyard: Isle of Dreams) I’ll admit to developing a keen interest in visiting all these wonderful homes, acreages and gardens ‘across the pond’. 🙂

Some great photos. Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks so much for the book recommendation! I’m an active member of Friends of the Knox Co. Library here, so I go frequently. I’ll look for it today. The Cotswolds are lovely no matter what time of year you go, or at least that’s what I’m thinking is true! Thanks for visiting!

8. ralietravels says:

We also enjoyed the Cotswolds, but although we spent a week at a central England base [Rugby], we took a different day trip each day. Every trip, I say “on the next trip, I going to spend more time in one place.” Maybe some day; maybe the Cotswolds.

• I’ve said that so many times. Now, I’m faced with a shortage of time and a lengthening of my bucket list. I don’t know whether to revisit or keep going to places we haven’t seen yet. It’s a nice problem to have. But if we return to the Cotswolds, I would love to rent a house in one part and work my way outward. Oh, the dreams I have!

9. Sue says:

What I am amazed by is your ability to get these images without cars……whenever I have been, the places are o ver run with cars! Great shots, Rusha!

• You are right on — we saw lots of cars, and this was December when there were fewer tourists. I keep thinking I’d like to frame some of my photos, but the cars were in the way of many cute cottage homes. These are just a few of what I shot — I’ve got plenty of car-filled ones still in the camera!!! 🙂

10. cindy knoke says:

I stayed here for a summer in grad school and I would love to go back.Wonderful photos~

• You were quite fortunate to have been in the Cotswolds for grad school. What a lovely time in your life to study and see the area. I, too, would love a return trip — a slower, more focused trip. Not just another whirlwind see-it-all-as-fast-as-you-can trip! (Still dreaming!)