Postcards from England: Christmas 2016 — Markets at Bath

Glowing in the dark, Christmas Markets at the base of Bath Abbey.

Glowing in the dark, Christmas Markets at the base of Bath Abbey.

After a whirlwind tour of France and England these last two weeks and with so much to do before we celebrate the holidays ourselves, we’re offering you, our readers, small glimpses of the English holiday season rather than lengthy posts for the next few days. We’re calling them “postcards” since we’ll share one or two pictures each day  — of decorations or markets or holiday color — ’til the 25th.  Here’s hoping these daily glimpses of seasonal sightings in England — some splashy, some subtle — will put you in the spirit of the holidays and transport you to a land where charm abounds.

From us to you: Christmas 2016 Postcards from England!

December 15, 2016 — Greetings from Bath, England

At the base of Bath Abbey, Christmas Markets glow in the dark.  Over 170 wooden structures house crafty things, imported goods, handmade items, or whatever the vendor wants to share with you.  We loved the markets for color and charm, for unique qualities of workmanship or just for what the vendor wanted to share with us.  And we were content to look, listen to the exchanges, and purchase a little — as we sampled life in England at Christmastime.

Come back tomorrow for another postcard.  Merry Christmas!

— Bert and Rusha

This entry was posted in England, Europe, Postcards from England: Christmas 2016, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Postcards from England: Christmas 2016 — Markets at Bath

1. dawnkinster says:

Wow! Christmas in England! Thanks for sharing with us!

2. Andy Oldham says:

Almost makes you feel like a kid again! Beautiful!

3. Making me nostalgic for our home back in the UK. Being here in Greece means we miss out on all these holiday markets! Looks like you have having a grand time in England. Don’t miss Oxford – the covered market this time of year is spectacular with all sorts of game hanging from hooks outside the butchers and the cheesemonger sells the best seasonal cheeses from around England.

4. Martha Gill says:

Thank you for sharing, Rusha and Bert. And thanks for arranging to have us at the Manor House this week—a wonderful setting.

5. Tvor says:

It would be a great spot for a market, there in front of the abbey. I’ve been to the Christmas markets in Manchester which are next to the town hall and a few close by streets. They’re a lot of fun but sooo crowded!

6. Supriya says:

the photos look lovely!

7. Wendy says:

Bath is a lovely City and I’m glad you’re enjoying your visit here in the UK… Happy Xmas from this Manchester blogger… You’ll have to travel ‘North’ on your next visit… Enjoy the rest of your trip. x

• I so want to go back. Been thinking ever since we returned to the States about how I could find a place to rent for a couple of weeks. But don’t know if we can drive on left side. This is one country, however, that I really want to explore fully. — Rusha

• Wendy says:

How lovely.. you can get around our ‘little’ Country really well by train if you don’t fancy driving.. It’s only 2 hours by train from London to Manchester now and from here you have links to the Lake District – definitely worth a visit. I hope you get chance to return.. x

8. cindy knoke says:

Wonderful but half of your photos are cut off in the new WordPress Reader!

9. cindy knoke says:

Oh I wish I was there!

10. Tee Shaw says:

Beautiful pics! I’ve been there. It’s amazing!

• I wish I had had more time. There were more stalls behind the church than in front, and I missed them. My husband, however, is glad. I heard him say, “We have no more room in the suitcase” a million times!!! — Rusha