Weekly Photo Challenge: Work of Art

Much of what we saw in Russia could be considered prime subject matter for this week’s Weekly Photo Challenge: Work of Art.  But one site memorable for its Rococo style and wealth of interior art on walls, floors, and ceilings is Catherine Palace located approximately 25 km south of St. Petersburg in Pushkin.  Originally conceived as a summer palace for Catherine I in 1717, it was renovated and remodeled in 1733 by Empress Elizabeth only to be demolished and reconstructed, opening in 1756 to the amazement and astonishment of the Russian people for its lavish construction, furnishings, and grounds.  Here are a few of the works of art at Catherine Palace (part of the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve) that made a lasting impression on us.

The signature blue and gold exterior of Catherine Palace.

The signature blue and gold exterior of Catherine Palace.

Exquisitely detailed ceiling panel, Catherine Palace.

Exquisitely detailed ceiling panel, Catherine Palace.

Delicate wall details, Catherine Palace, Russia

Delicate wall details, Catherine Palace, Russia

Interior furnishings and inlaid flooring, Catherine Palace, Russia

Interior furnishings and inlaid flooring, Catherine Palace, Russia

Elegant fireplace of Delft tiles, Catherine Palace, Russia

Elegant fireplace of Delft tiles, Catherine Palace, Russia

For more works of art, click here for Weekly Photo Challenge: Work of Art.

For the official website of the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve, click here.

This entry was posted in Destination, Russia, Travel, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Work of Art

1. Pingback: Art for art’s sake; money for Women’s Refuge (with apologies to 10cc) | Zimmerbitch: age is just a (biggish) number

2. FreeRangeCow says:

That inlaid floor is beautimus! Wow!

So glad you looked down. I would forget to do that when we were moving room to room — the gold and mirrors caught my attention, but when I looked down I couldn’t believe the intricacy! It’s really a lavish place!

3. Sartenada says:

Excellent post with beautiful photos.

Thanks so much. I didn’t have a very good camera at the time, but when I look back at these pictures, I have very fond memories! Appreciate the comment.

Incredible! Especially the last one, Wow!

It always amazes me to see the monuments to themselves that so many people around the world have built to themselves – so sad when you see so many with so little. I am as big a capitalist as the next guy but there does come a point when opulence moves beyond acceptability, don’t you think? I felt the same way when I visited the Vanderbilt mansion in Asheville NC, and also when I visited the mansions of the very wealthy in Newport RI. Sometimes ya just gotta wonder! In any case, great post on the palace Rusha! Reminded me a bit of Dr. Zhivago 🙂

It’s quite the place, all right. And there must be 20 rooms with those Delft fireplaces!!! Thanks for reading.

You are so right. It’s even more incredible to me that they would renovate the building, then tear it down, and put even more time, energy, and money into it. I can’t remember how little time anyone spent living there. What a waste! But we tourists sure love it. It IS like Dr. Zhivago!

I don’t know if my original response came through. I was traveling and using an iPhone for a reply. So, I’ll try again. I agree with you about the lavish lifestyles that seem ridiculous in the face of the realities so many people face. But as a tourist, I still want to see what was designed, built, furnished, etc. Hope this doesn’t make me a bad person — just curious. But you are so right — it does fly in the face of reason.

6. cindy knoke says:

Stunning! We are going this year!!!

You will love it! So many photo ops. So little time. Crowds prevent you from getting some shots, but I still managed to careen around tourists to snap several. I didn’t have a great camera then, so with your photo skills, you’ll do great. Hope you post some!