A Place in the World: Pawleys Beach at Dawn

Pre-dawn view of Pawleys Pier from the Sea View Inn.

Pre-dawn view of Pawleys Pier from the Sea View Inn.

It’s just been in recent years that I’ve chosen to get up before dawn.  Oh, I did it before retirement, of course — to soothe a waking baby, to catch an early flight, or to set up a conference room for a morning meeting.  But now, I can choose to see dawn unfolding. And nowhere do I love it better than on the beach at Pawleys Island, South Carolina.

Quiet time before sun-up

Quiet time before sun-up

Recently, we stayed a few days at the Sea View Inn, one of the few remaining Old South bed and breakfasts that serve three low-country meals each day.  So getting up meant having time for myself in my place in the world without even having to make coffee. It was there, each and every morning, hot and ready for the taking, even before dawn.

Bathed in early morning light, the Sea View Inn on Pawleys Island.

Bathed in early morning light, the Sea View Inn on Pawleys Island.

Before the guests awake:  Sea View Inn

Before the guests awake: Sea View Inn

I left the porch and moved slowly down the beach, passing houses whose windows were lit with morning glow.

Greeting the sun at Pawleys Island.

Greeting the sun at Pawleys Island.

With salmon tones in the background from the almost-up sun, Pawleys Pier jutted out to greet the seas and make ready for sunny days.

Pink light before dawn at Pawleys Pier

Pink light before dawn at Pawleys Pier

Colors changed from smoky pink to peach and orange with a hint of yellow, but just a hint . . .

Orange skies replace pink as the sun's stonger colors come into play.

Orange skies replace pink as the sun’s stonger colors come into play.

until the sun peeked over the horizon, bathing all in early-morning glow.

At Pawleys, I never take dawn for granted.  Never ask for clear skies or cloudy ones with interesting configurations.  Come what may, it’s my place — albeit a temporary one —  just as it is.

To see places loved by other writers, check out WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: Place in the World.

This entry was posted in South Carolina, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A Place in the World: Pawleys Beach at Dawn

1. kzmcb says:

That was delightful. The video was so peaceful and clear, I can see why it’s a preferred way to start the day.

2. Pingback: WPC: A Place In This World | Lillie-Put

3. restlessjo says:

Oh, how very beautiful! 🙂 🙂 Those colours are stunning.
    Traditionally I’m the ‘getty-upper’ in our house, trying to get up noiselessly so as not to disturb him who sleeps, but we don’t live near enough to a beach to indulge in this simple pleasure. Isn’t the world amazing?

4. M.B. Henry says:

Boy those sunset photos take your breath away! Just beautiful

5. …and what beautiful places they are!

Pawley’s is not far from me here on Kiawah. Your photos capture both its glory and it’s serenity. Beautiful

• I really would love to come to Kiawah. We have a couple of friends who own houses there, but we’ve never vacationed on that island. Our granddaughter has just learned to ride a bike, so it may be a biking/beach vacation in the works! Thanks for taking a look at the sunrise — they’re gorgeous and welcome just about anywhere in the world.

7. krithya G says:

Very atmospheric photographs! I can almost hear the waves in the silence of the dawn.
    It been a while since my last ocean sunrise. After seeing these pics, I want to hop into my car and head to the nearest beach 🙂

8. Ruth says:

Stunning. Reminds me of Salutation to the Dawn “Look to this day, for it is life…”

9. Pingback: Place in the World – Music | What's (in) the Picture?

10. dawnkinster says:

Love that ‘orange skies’ shot and the pink skies over the pier!

• Thanks. I love both also, but the pier was especially lovely this year. We didn’t get close ups this time — just didn’t go that way. But I love being right underneath watching the tide come in.

11. Pit says:

Those shots of the sunrise are absolutely gorgeous: thanks for sharing!

12. AggieSoon says:

Beautiful!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w