A couple of weeks ago, I was nominated for a Leibster Blog Award, an award given to fellow bloggers to recognize new, up-and-coming blogs!
“Liebster” is a German word meaning dearest, beloved, or favorite. The Liebster Award is given by bloggers to other bloggers — intended to showcase exceptional blogs — and Oh, the Places We See has been nominated!!!
I’ve enjoyed getting to know the ladies who collectively publish mrs. & the misc. — “twenty-something wives blogging about the miscellaneous things in life.” They’re a talented group who share ideas for food, decorating, and life in general. It’s their creative take on the sometimes extraordinary things we can make from ordinary “stuff” that appeals to me, so you might like to check out their blog here: http://mrsandthemisc.com/
After receiving this award, there are some “rules” to follow:
- The blog nominated must answer the 5 questions given by the person who nominated them.
- The blog nominated must tell 5 random facts about themselves.
- The blog nominated must then nominate 5 blogs (with under 200 followers), and make sure to tell them you nominated them.
- Finally, you must ask the people you nominate 5 questions of your own.
- Optional: proudly display the Liebster blog award icon on your blog.
So here are my answers to the questions posed by mrs. & the misc.:
1. If you knew you could only go on one last vacation in your life — where would you go? Someplace new or a vacation favorite?
I’d stroll the quiet beach at Pawleys Island, South Carolina, a place my husband and family have been visiting for over 30 years for one week each summer. We go there at the end of July, right when a new school year is beginning, and I plan (while walking the beach) for the coming year. You can do a lot of thinking and dreaming when you stroll a beach with nothing but the sound of the ocean and a few seagulls at your back!
2. What is the worst gift you were ever given?
I’ve never thought of any gift as a bad gift, but one the Good Lord gave me — the gift of gab — has gotten me into some trouble in the past! The older I get, the more I just smile and remain silent. Or at least I’m trying to!!!
3. Who do you most look up to in your life?
Anyone who has raised more than two children and anyone who teaches school!
4. What is your “can’t live without” beauty product (or miracle product that’s changed your life)?
I love seeing happy women whose faces glow, so I would have to say a moisturizer and anything that makes cheeks blush!
5. Best recipe you’ve ever made? The worst?
One recipe answers both questions: A Hershey Bar Cake! My old, inherited-from-a-friend recipe calls for two 10-cent cans of Hershey syrup and seven 5-cent Hershey bars!!!! Sometimes my calculations based on today’s products work; sometimes they don’t! And I’m lucky if I bake it just right so that it’s moist and a tad gooey — not dry!
Now, for “5 random facts’ about me:
1. I have more stuff than my closets can hold but I hate parting with favorite things. (May explain why I dabbled in selling antiques for a few years.)
2. I’m addicted to technology and social media. (Constantly check my iPhone!)
3. I’m the oldest of five daughters.
4. I’ve been an educator for 45 years and still love visiting schools, talking with teachers and administrators, and learning new ways to share information with students.
5. I collect picture frames from the places we visit and ask complete strangers to snap pics of my husband and me to record the moments. And we collect sand from beaches we visit and put it in old bottles tagged with those favorite destinations.
Now, for my nominees of favorite, up-and-coming blogs:
Marie, let’s eat — Based in Atlanta, the team of Grant and Marie review local places to eat in several Southern states.
Stuck Inside of Knoxville with the Urban Blues Again — Written by Knoxville Urban Guy, this blog keeps you up-to-date on happenings in Knoxville’s growing downtown area.
Belle Grove Plantation Bed and Breakfast — The ongoing account of how Michelle and Brett Darnell are preparing for the opening of historic Belle Grove Plantation (former home of James Madison) in Port Conway, Virginia.
Leanne’s delicious food and travel adventures — Leanne writes about food and places to see in Australia, Norfolk Island and New Zealand.
Here are my questions for the 5 nominees:
1. What inspired you to begin blogging?
2. What is one go-to dish you prepare whenever you need to entertain guests or take a dish to share? (Include the recipe, if you feel like sharing!)
3. If you could return to one place you’ve visited, where would it be and why?
4. What is something you’ve eaten at a place other than your home that you enjoyed? And where were you?
5. What is one thing you would like to write about in 2013?
Nominees, be sure to follow the rules above and comment below with your follow-up post, so we can read your answers!
And thanks again to mrs. and the misc. for the Liebster Award nomination!